CUSTOM MOUTHGUARDS IN CANBERRA
If you participate in contact sports, you are at a higher risk to damage your teeth, jaws and gums. Hockey, football, rugby, AFL, basketball and other contact sport players can benefit from a custom-made mouthguard that protects them from trauma including teeth that are chipped, cracked or knocked out, cut lips and jaw injury.
We promote the use of custom-fitted mouthguards. These fit comfortably and are more likely to be worn than a stock/pre-formed mouthguard, which can be bulky and make breathing and talking difficult.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF CUSTOM MOUTHGUARDS?
We at Evolving Smiles, offer custom mouthguards which have many advantages:
- They are comfortable, allowing for regular speaking and breathing, making it easier for athletes to wear during training and games
- A properly fitted mouthguard protects the soft tissues of the lips, cheeks, gums and tongue from tearing during impact
- They cushion the teeth and jaw joints from impact
- Available in different colours
- Can be marked with your name
- Made from tough acrylic and laminate materials
- The cost of a custom mouthguard is low compared to the cost of any treatment associated with an injury sustained by not wearing a mouthguard
We’ll take moulds of your teeth that manufacture your bespoke device. We manufacture the mouthguards on-site, which allows us to pass on the laboratory savings to you.
WHY NOT USE A STORE BOUGHT MOUTHGUARD IN CANBERRA?
There are options at most shops including boil and bite or stock mouthguards at chemists and sports stores. A poor fit is common, however, causing discomfort and putting a strain on your breathing. They won’t give you the level of protection that a custom mouthguard offers. These devices are even tapered to avoid irritating your gag reflex.
HOW DO YOU CARE FOR YOUR CUSTOM MOUTHGUARD?
- Rinse the mouthguard with cold water or mouthwash before and after each use.
- Clean the mouthguard with cool soapy water and a soft-bristled toothbrush and rinse it thoroughly before storage.
- Place the mouthguard in a firm container to store or transport it.
- Protect the mouthguard from high temperature eg water or direct sunlight, to minimize distorting its shape.
- Keep the mouthguard out of reach from pets, dogs can eat them!
- Bring your mouthguard to your routine check-up appointments so that the dentist can examine it.
HOW MUCH DOES YOUR CUSTOM MOUTHGUARD COST?
A custom mouthguard at Evolving Smiles costs $12o or health-fund rebate only for CBHS and HCF patients.
We accept all health funds and process your rebate on the spot with HICAPS.